Nowadays, the world is full of all kinds of technology. Some of which are for good while others not so much says William D King. The same can be said about new technologies that allow us to connect with each other on a personal or business level. A lot of people have been using the telephone network as a way to get in touch with clients, customers and even friends and family members. As such, it is not unusual for some individuals to make calls at any time of day which has made receiving these calls quite annoying.
Over the years, there has been an increase in spam callers which continues to frustrate many people across the world. If you are one of those who receive spam phone calls or telemarketing messages then this article might interest you. Read along for more information regarding spam callers and how we can reduce their number.
What Aream Calls?
Spam callers are telemarketers who place phone calls to people without their permission. The callers usually use deceptive methods in order to get through to their intended target which results in a lot of frustration and irritation. Some telemarketers may even pretend to be someone you know, government agencies or customer service outlets in order to get your attention while others simply leave a message for you explains William D King. Apart from the annoyance these callers cause, they also have a negative impact on business productivity since many individuals find it hard to concentrate when receiving such phone calls.
In recent times, spam calls have been deemed illegal which led to the passing of the ‘Do Not Call Registry’ law by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) which is an American agency that works with the consumer protection. In addition, the law has been effective in reducing spam calls as it states that no telemarketer can place a call to anyone who is on the national ‘Do Not Call Registry’. However, this does not stop some spam callers from trying to make their way through since they tend to be very persistent and will hide behind different numbers which makes them hard to trace.
What Are the Rules Regarding Such Calls?
- If you are one of those individuals who receive frequent unsolicited calls then you might want to know what your rights are when dealing with such cases. After all, these nuisance phone calls may violate certain existing laws which may entitle you to compensation for your trouble so it is better if you are aware of what you are entitled to.
- Firstly, the federal government has made it clear that unsolicited calls for marketing purposes are illegal. This is because the law states that telemarketers need prior consent before they can make such calls to individuals who are not registered on the ‘Do Not Call Registry’.
- Secondly, if you receive an unsolicited call. Then you can simply ignore it even if there is someone speaking on the line. This will send a signal to spam callers that their methods of trying to reach you do not work. Which may convince them to stop calling your number altogether. Alternatively, you could use apps like Trap Call. Which allows you to block specific numbers so these calls cannot go through anymore says William D King.
- Thirdly, if you receive unwanted phone calls from telemarketers then you can file a complaint with the FTC. The agency requires that complainants provide their names and phone numbers. Some information about the caller as well as information. Regarding why they think that they are being harassed by phone calls. Once your complaint is received, the FTC will do what it can to make sure that telemarketers stop calling you. Which may include large fines or jail time for those who violate federal laws.
- Lastly, there are also state government agencies like the Public Utility Commission (PUC) which handles complaints regarding spam calls. However, this method of filing a complaint is almost always slow since most states prefer. To act on such cases only if orders have been violated or ignore them completely for unknown reasons. Even so, you can always try filing a complaint. With the PUC in your state if you receive frequent spam calls.
Spam calls are very disruptive and can affect your productivity at work since it is distracting. It is best to get rid of them immediately so you can get back to doing. What you need to do says William D King. As mentioned earlier, there are various ways by which you can stop these nuisance phone callers. From disturbing you including blocking specific numbers or using apps like Trap Call.
If none of the methods suggested above seem appropriate for your situation. Then the only option left would be to contact customer service outlets. In order to file a complaint against spam callers. Filing complaints with different agencies may not always yield immediate results. But it may make telemarketers think twice before contacting people. Without their consent in the future which could potentially reduce spam calls by a significant amount.